H. X. Zhang (M’04) received his Ph.D. degree in Mechanical and Electronic Engineering from Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China, in 2003. From 2004, he worked as Postdoctoral Fellow at the Institute of Technical Aspects of Multimodal Systems (TAMS), Department of Informatics, Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Natural Sciences, University of Hamburg, Germany. Dr. Zhang joined the Department of Technology and Nautical Sciences, Aalesund University College, Norway in April 2011 where he is a Professor on Robotics and Cybernetics. The focus of his research lies on mobile robotics, especially on climbing robots and service robots, modular robotics, and nonlinear control algorithms. In these areas, he has published over 70 journal and conference papers and book chapters as author and co-author. Recently, he has received the best paper award at the IEEE/AEME AIM2008 conference, and three finalist awards for best conference paper at IEEE Robotics and Automation conferences.
05/2011-present Full Professor at the Faculty of Maritime Technology and Operations, Aalesund University College, Norway
04/2011-05/2011 Associate Professor at the Department of Technology and Nautical Sciences, Aalesund University College, Norway
02/2004-3/2011 Lecturer (Dozent) at the Institute of Technical Aspects of Multimodal Systems, Department of Computer Science, University of Hamburg, Germany.
2/2007-Present Coordinator of the project “Biologically Inspired Modular Climbing Caterpillar Robot Using Passive Adhesion” [Funded by DFG, No.U4604-DFG-10-01]
2005-6/2007 Coordinator of the project --Praktikum "Mobile Roboter" mit Simulation und Telerobotik-Zugang (TELEBOTS) [by Elch, Hamburg Foundation]
1/2006-Present Technical head of the project “Fast-prototyping Modular Robot”
2/2004-Present Technical head of the project “A flexible smart climbing robotic platform for civil rescue and search in urban environments”
9/2001-12/2003 Technical director of the project “Service Wall Cleaning Robotics system for Complex Surface”, a new kind of auto-scrambling robot, which is used for cleaning the spherical surface of the National Grand Theatre, was developed
9/2000-9/2001 Head of the project “Glass-wall Cleaning Robots for High-rise Buildings”. The pneumatic robot named “Skycleaner III” has been developed and put to good use at the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum
7/1999-2/2000 Main member of the project “Segmental and Variable Bang-Bang Controller for the Pneumatic PWM Position Servo System”, engagement in controller design and debugging.
7/1998-7/1999 Technical head of the project “Service Robots for Glass-wall Cleaning of High-rise Buildings”, a cooperation with the Centre for Intelligent Design, A&M; City University of Hong Kong
Best Conference Paper of 2008 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Xi’an , China
Finalist for Best Conference Paper of 2009 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Singapore
Finalist for Best Student Conference Paper of ICIA2008, Zhangjiajie, Hunan, China
Finalist for Best Conference Paper of 2007 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, ETH Zurich , Switzerland
Finalist for Best Conference Paper of 2006 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, Kunming, China
SELECTED RELATED PUBLICATIONS(From 2004-2010)
- Houxiang Zhang, Jianwei Zhang, Wei Wang: From the biological model to a small climbing caterpillar robot, Int. J. Advanced Mechatronic Systems, Vol. 2, No. 1/2, pp.90-98, 2010.
- Wei Wang, Houxiang Zhang, Wenpeng Yu: Design and Realization of Multimobile Robot System with Docking Manipulator, Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 132, 2010.
- Wei Wang, Kun Wang, Houxiang Zhang, Jianwei Zhang: Internal Force Compensating Method for Wall-Climbing Caterpillar Robot, Proceeding of 2010 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA2010), Anchorage, Alaska, USA, May 3-8, pp.2816-2820, 2010.
- Juan Gonzalez-Gomez, Javier Gonzalez-Quijano, Houxiang Zhang, Mohamed Abderrahim: Towards the sense of touch in snake modular robots for search and rescue operations, Proceeding of 2010 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Workshop on Modular robots, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, May 3-8, 2010
- Wei Wang, Wenpeng Yu, Houxiang Zhang: JL-2: An Improved Self-reconfigurable Mobile Multi-robot System: International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 9-18, 2010.
- Houxiang Zhang, Wei Wang, Jianwei Zhang: A Bio-inspired Small-sized Wall-climbing Caterpillar Robot, Mechatronic Systems Applications, Book edited by: Annalisa Milella Donato Di Paola and Grazia Cicirelli, ISBN: 978-953-307-040-7, Publisher: INTECH, pp.1-16, March 2010.
- Houxiang Zhang, Gionata Salvietti, Wei Wang, Guoyuan Li, Junzhi Yu, Jianwei Zhang: Efficient Kinematic Solution to a Multi-robot with Serial and Parallel Mechanisms, Proceeding of 2010 IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2010), Taipei, Taiwan, October 18-22, pp. 6101 - 6106 , 2010.
- Houxiang Zhang, Wei Wang, Juan Gonzalez-Gomez, Jianwei Zhang: Design and Realization of a Novel Modular Climbing Caterpillar Using Low-frequency Vibrating Passive Suckers, Advanced Robotics, Vol.23, pp.889-906, 2009.
- Wei Wang, Kun Wang, Houxiang Zhang: Crawling gait realization of the mini-modular climbing caterpillar robot, Progress in Natural Science, Vol.19, No.12, pp.1821-1829, 2009. 10. Houxiang Zhang, Juan Gonzalez-Gomez, Shengyong Chen, Jianwei Zhang: Embedded Intelligent Capability of a Modular Robotic System, Proceeding of IEEE Robio2008, Bangkok, Thailand, Feb. 21-26, 2009, pp.2061-2066.