Sverre Steen is a Professor at NTNU, Faculty of Science and Technology, Department of Marine Technology and head of the University Technology Centre.
- M.Sc. Marine Hydrodynamics, The Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTH).
- Dr.ing. Marine Hydrodynamics The Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTH).
Thesis: "Cobblestone Effect on SES".
1989-1990 Military service in the Navy. Worked with weight control and stability calculations on the Mine counter Measure Vessels project.
1990-1995 Research Engineer at MARINTEK, Division of Marine Vehicles.
1995-2004 Senior Research Engineer at MARINTEK, Division of Marine Vehicles.
1996-1999 Member of ITTC specialist committee “Model testing of HSMV”
1997-2001 Program manager of strategic research programme SKIPRO 2001
1998-2004 Research manager for resistance and propulsion at MARINTEK
1999-2002 Member of ITTC specialist committee ”Procedures for resistance, propulsion, open water tests, and resistance tests for HPMV”
2001-2004 Member of the board of MARINTEK
2002-2004 Member of ITTC specialist committee ”Powering Performance Prediction”
2003-2004 Manager of “Ship Performance” group at Marintek
2004- Professor in experimental marine hydrodynamics at NTNU
2005- Director of Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre “Performance in a Seaway”
2005-2008 Chairman of ITTC specialist committee ”Powering Performance Prediction”
MAIN FIELDS OF COMPETENCE:
- Resistance and propulsion of ships
- Experimental methods
- Hydrodynamics, environmental loads and motions of high speed craft
- Seakeeping of SES craft
PUBLICATIONS (Selected publications from recent years)
- Bingjie Guo and Sverre Steen, (2010) “Experiment on added resistance in short waves”, 28thSymposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, 12-18 September, Pasadena, California
- Bingjie Guo and Sverre Steen, (2010) “Computational study on ship resistance and flow field of KVLCC2” Gothenburg 2010 Workshop on Numerical Ship Hydrodynamics, Gothenburg, 8-10 dec. 2010. Chalmers University of Technology. ISSN No. 1652-9189
- Amini, H., Steen. S. (2011)“Shaft Loads on Azimuth Propulsors in Oblique Flow and Waves”, International Journal of Maritime Engineering, Vol. 153, Part A1 2011
- Savio, L., Sileo, S., Steen, S., Glodowski, R., Hoffman, P., Kraskowski, M. (2011) “Comparison of Experimental and Numerical Predictions of Open Water Performance Characteristics of a Podded Propeller”, Proceedings of AMT’11, Newcastle, England, April 4-6, 2011.
- Guo, B, Steen, S. (2011)“Comparison of numerical methods for wave generation by vof-based numerical wave tank”, Proceeding of the ASME 2011 30th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering , OMAE 2011, June 19-24, 2011, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Sileo, L., Steen, S. (2011) “Lateral Force and Turning Moment on a Reversing Ship”, Second Symposium on Marine Propulsors, smp’11, June 15-17, Hamburg, Germany.
- Zhenju, C., Steen, S. (2011) “Prediction of Speed Loss of a Ship in Waves”, Second Symposium on Marine Propulsors, smp’11, June 15-17, Hamburg, Germany.
- Califano, A., Steen, S. (2011) “Identification of ventilation regimes of a marine propeller by means of dynamic-loads analysis “,Ocean Engineering 38(14-15), October 2011, pp. 1600-1610,
- Califano, A., Steen, S. (2011) “Numerical simulations of a fully-submerged propeller subject to ventilation”, 38, (14-15), October 2011, Pages 1582-1599 doi:10.1016/j.oceaneng.2011.07.010
- Amini, H., Steen, S. (2011) “Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of Propeller Shaft Loads in Oblique Inflow”, Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 55, No. 4, December 2011, pp. 1–21.
- Guo, B., Steen, S. (2011) “Evaluation of Added Resistance of KVLCC2 in Short Waves”, Journal of Hydrodynamics, 2011,23(6) pp:709-722 DOI: 10.1016/S1001-6058(10)60168-0
- Guo, B., Steen, S. Deng, G.B. (2012) ”Seakeeping Prediction of KVLCC2 in Head Waves with RANS”, Applied Ocean Research 35 (2012) pp:56– 67